Sunday, January 24, 2010

2009 Black & White BOM

2009 was a year of the BOM's (Block of the Month). I had ten separate quilting projects going and now we are three weeks into 2010 and I not only have several of the quilts completely pieced, but I put the final stitches in the binding of one of them today.
The first Saturday of each month in 2009, I got up early and drove about 30 miles to get to Leavenworth, KS to arrive by 8:30 AM for Quilter's Quarter's BOM club. To participate in the club, in January 2009 I paid $5.00 for the January block and purchased all of the background fabric for the entire quilt. Then starting in February, I would take th previous month's completed block back to the quilt shop and get that month's block pattern and fabric for free. Well, I didn't always make it back on the first Saturday for my free pattern and fabric, but I think I only had to pay for one or two.
Then, of course, I had to purchase the finishing kit and the backing. This sounds like a sweet deal, but I still have about $250 invested in this quilt by the time I had it quilted.
I think what most of my friends will tell you, is that this quilt project is definitely "outside my box". Why? It isn't Thimbleberries. But I love it! Hope you will too?


3 comments:

  1. I love it! Black and white fabric makes for such a striking quilt!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom - i WANT this quilt! How come I didn't know you were making a B & W quilt? Geez, you would think you would have mentioned that during one of our 300+ 7am conversations during 2009...guess i will have to read the blog more often so i know what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See your's has the sashing and cornerstones and I just love how it turned out, not mine. If I weren't so busy, I'd take it a part and put the sashing. Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete