Friday, January 15, 2010

2010 Road to Ohio

Approximately a year and half ago, I was able to join an online Thimbleberries quilt group that many of my Kansas City quilt friends already belonged to - Quilter's Hollow. The online group is made up of 50 ladies from across the United States and Canada that share a love of everything Thimbleberries. And since I am an addict when it comes to everything Thimbleberries, it was only logical that I get involved in this group.
Many of the group had gotten together here in Kansas City in 2008 for a weekend of sewing and of course - "shopping". So when I heard about their plans for a retreat in Dayton, Ohio in August 2009, I was one of 9 women from Kansas City that packed 3 vehicles with our sewing machines (and of course clothes) and set off on a two and a half day drive to Dayton, Ohio. No it doesn't take that long to drive to Dayton from Kansas City, but we "shop hopped" all the way. By the time we arrived at our destination and the wonderful retreat center, we were practically sitting on our purchases from the many quilt shops that we stopped at because we were filling up our vehicles to the point it was becoming increasing harder to find a place to put anything.
This was my first opportunity to meet the ladies from our online group that did not live in Kansas City and the weekend provided a lot of fellowship, food, little sleep and lots of sewing. And then since one of our members who made all the arrangements for the retreat and who also owns a quilt shop not too far from the retreat center, we left our machines for a few hours on Sunday morning and Cynthia opened her shop so we could shop some more!
By the second day of the retreat, everyone was have such a wonderful time they were already talking about another retreat in 2010 and plans got underway for just that. So how do you keep the excitement going from August 2009 to August 2010 for us quilters, well, we participate in a "Block of the Month" or as us quilters call it...a BOM! So, another one of our members kicked things off in October with giving us a block pattern and then each month another member provides another pattern. The blocks are to be made from our choice of fabric and then when all 12 blocks are complete...we are to come up with our own finishing ideas and hopefully, everyone will show up at the retreat in August with a complete quilt top.
Below, you will find pictures of a couple of my blocks. My choices for fabric colors are kind out of my norm, but thought it would give me a chance to expand my horizons. As the months progress, I will post additional pictures and then maybe by June or July I can post the completed quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment